Sports

 
Georginio Wijnaldum has won 30 caps for the Netherlands

Liverpool have agreed a £25m deal to sign Netherlands international Georginio Wijnaldum from Newcastle.

The 25-year-old midfielder, who had four years remaining on his contract at St James’ Park, will have a medical with the Premier League side on Friday.

Wijnaldum joined Newcastle for £14.5m from Dutch side PSV in 2015, playing in all 38 of the club’s Premier League games last season and scoring 11 goals.

He will be the Reds’ sixth signing of the summer so far.

The other new additions are…

Wijnaldum, who began his career at Feyenoord before moving to PSV Eindhoven, has made 30 appearances for the Netherlands and helped them finish third in the 2014 World Cup in Brazil.

He scored on his Premier League debut in August 2015 and found the net a further 10 times during the season, including four in a 6-2 win over Norwich, but could not prevent Newcastle being relegated to the Championship.

Liverpool finished eighth in the Premier League last season and a 3-1 loss to Sevilla in the Europa League final ensured they will not be playing in European competition in 2016-17.

The Reds are currently on tour in America and play Chelsea (27 July), AC Milan (30 July) and Roma (1 August), before games against Barcelona at Wembley Stadium on 6 August and FSV Mainz 05 a day later in Germany.

Klopp’s side begin their Premier League campaign away at last season’s runners-up Arsenal on 14 August.

Subscribe to the BBC Sport newsletter to get our pick of news, features and video sent to your inbox.

Powered By WizardRSS.com | Full Text RSS Feed

 
Leicester’s title-winning squad was assembled for approximately £57m

Everton have appointed Leicester City joint assistant manager and head of recruitment Steve Walsh as their new director of football.

The 51-year-old had only signed a new contract with the Premier League champions in May.

Former PE teacher and Chelsea scout Walsh will work with new Toffees manager Ronald Koeman, who replaced Roberto Martinez last month.

“It feels very much like a new era at Everton,” said Walsh.

He becomes Leicester’s second key departure of the summer after midfielder N’Golo Kante joined Chelsea for £30m.

Walsh has been credited with helping discover bargain signings such as winger Riyad Mahrez and Kante for the Foxes, who last season became top-flight champions for the first time in their 132-year history.

Professional Footballers’ Association player of the year Mahrez joined from Le Havre in 2014 for £400,000, while Kante was signed from French club Caen for about £6m.

“I am genuinely excited to be here at Everton and very much looking forward to getting down to work,” said Walsh.

“I know the club well, my roots are in the north west and my brother, Mickey, was an Everton player in the Bob Latchford era and always proud of that fact.”

Dutchman Koeman added: “It is really good for the club to have someone in Steve who has shown his quality in his job at a number of clubs over many years.

“That is the experience and quality he will bring to us at a good time in the season.”

Leicester’s director of football Jon Rudkin praised Walsh’s “signification contribution to the most successful period in the club’s history” and said he had accepted the decision “with a heavy heart”.

Analysis

Pat Murphy, BBC Radio 5 live:

“Arguably, Walsh became the most important figure in Leicester’s football department because he kept delivering unpolished gems from his countless scouting missions without breaking the bank.

“Although he signed a new and improved contract only in May, he has been tempted away by what he sees as a career promotion and the vision of Everton’s majority shareholder Farhad Moshiri.

“The London-based Iranian businessman has ambitious plans for Everton, with money seemingly not an issue. Landing first Koeman as manager and now Walsh within a month is a double coup.

“Leicester will be seeking full compensation for the loss of Walsh but just as in the pursuit of Koeman, money is no longer a thorny problem at Everton.”

Powered By WizardRSS.com | Full Text RSS Feed

 
Jose Mourinho (right) and Allardyce were managerial opponents in the Premier League

Manchester United manager Jose Mourinho has backed the appointment of Sam Allardyce as England manager.

“He is the right person,” Mourinho said of the Sunderland boss. “He is more than ready. He is a good motivator and can create a good team spirit.”

Former England manager Sven-Goran Eriksson told BBC Sport: “Sam’s been in English football for a long time. He’s always been doing very well.”

Allardyce’s appointment is expected to be confirmed on Thursday.

Mourinho, speaking on United’s pre-season tour of China, added: “I wish him the best. I promise to try and supply him players and try to make sure the English players are always available in good condition.”

Eriksson, who led England to the quarter-finals of three major tournaments between 2001 and 2006, warned success was “not that easy”.

“What is successful for England? Is it quarter-final or semi-final? Winning?” asked the 68-year-old Swede, who now manages Shanghai SIPG in the Chinese Super League.

Allardyce, 61, was interviewed for the England job by the Football Association (FA) when Eriksson left after the 2006 World Cup.

“If the FA want an Englishman, he is one of several good names,” said Eriksson. “I wish him the best of luck. I know he is very organised. He knows all the players and he wants the job.”

Eriksson said that a result like England’s Euro 2016 last-16 defeat by Iceland, which led to Roy Hodgson’s resignation, “should not happen”.

“I know the fans and the FA are dreaming about reaching semi-finals and finals and winning a big tournament,” he said, adding that England’s World Cup triumph in 1966 was “a long time ago”.

Powered By WizardRSS.com | Full Text RSS Feed