Sports

May 122016
 
Leicester star escapes community service
Leicester City footballer Danny Simpson arrives at Manchester Magistrates" CourtImage copyright PA
Image caption Danny Simpson complained that journalists had made his community service sentence impossible

A Premier League footballer convicted of assaulting his ex-girlfriend will no longer have to complete unpaid work due to press intrusion.

Leicester City’s Danny Simpson denied strangling the mother of his child but was convicted last May.

However, the 29-year-old’s lawyer complained that journalists had found where he was carrying out his community service, making it impossible.

A judge revoked the sentence and ruled he should serve a curfew instead.

Simpson’s lawyer Gary Ryan asked if the millionaire footballer could instead pay a fine, arguing that a curfew would be “unfair and unjust”, and would interfere with his football commitments.

Image copyright PA
Image caption Simpson was part of Leicester City’s Premier League title-winning side

But this was rejected by District Judge Alexandra Simmonds, at Manchester Magistrates Court.

She said while press intrusion was to blame for Simpson not completing the work, a fine would be “no punishment”, given his financial position.

The judge said Simpson’s sentence for assaulting his ex-partner Stephanie Ward was a “richly-deserved punishment”.

The former Manchester United player’s community sentence was revoked, and a curfew imposed.

Simpson must wear an electronic tag and stay indoors at his home in Salford between 22:00 and 06:00 for the next 21 days.

Mr Ryan said Simpson had work commitments in the next 10 days, including end of season parades and functions with the rest of his team which were not to be regarded as “a jolly for the players”.

He also said Simpson was expected to fly out to Thailand with the club’s owners on Tuesday, but the judge rejected any plea to defer the curfew.

The right-back, who also played for Newcastle and QPR, was arrested on 29 December after a reports of a row at a house in Worsley, Greater Manchester.

Powered By WizardRSS.com | Full Text RSS Feed

Everton sack manager Martinez

 Posted by at 8:19 PM
May 122016
 
Everton conceded a last-minute winner to Manchester United in the FA Cup semi-final

Everton have sacked manager Roberto Martinez after three years in charge.

Martinez’s side, 12th in the Premier League, were beaten 3-1 by champions Leicester on Saturday and lost 3-0 at Sunderland on Wednesday.

The Toffees lost in the semi-finals of the FA Cup and League Cup this season.

They have won just five league games at home all season and are guaranteed to finish with their lowest points tally at Goodison Park since the introduction of three points for a win in 1981.

The club are expected to make an official announcement imminently to confirm their decision.

There have been an increasing number of protests against the Spaniard from supporters at recent home matches.

A banner saying “Time to go Roberto” was flown over Goodison during the 2-1 win over Bournemouth on 30 April, while some Everton fans remained inside the ground for more than an hour after the match to protest against Martinez and chairman Bill Kenwright.

A 4-0 loss to Liverpool and FA Cup semi-final defeat by Manchester United at Wembley came within four days of each other. Martinez had previously stated that they would be “defining” fixtures for his side.

The 42-year-old promised to deliver Champions League football when he was appointed to replace David Moyes in the summer of 2013 and he finished fifth in his first season in charge with 72 points – the most achieved by Everton since they last won the league title in 1986-87.

Last season they slipped to 11th.

Martinez leaves Everton with a 38% Premier League win percentage during his tenure. Over the past two seasons Everton have won a combined 22 league games – just one more than in 2013-14.

They have conceded 18 points from winning positions this season – only Tottenham with 20 and Liverpool (19) have a worse record.

Two-goal advantages were lost at Bournemouth and Chelsea – and even when they regained the lead in injury time in both games they still were pegged back to 3-3.

In March, a 2-0 lead at home to West Ham with 12 minutes left ended in a 3-2 defeat.

Last season the Toffees had the joint worst record with Sunderland for teams losing points from winning positions with 19.

Martinez successfully fought to keep hold of defender John Stones last summer as Everton rejected a £30m bid from Chelsea, but striker Romelu Lukaku said in March