Headlines

 

The AWOL newspaper is intended to be mostly for entertainment, but whenever a more serious local story comes along we will, of course, cover it when possible. However there is always a lot of serious news and events going on around the world and this section of the website brings you those stories as they break on the internet. We also have separate pages for Asia, Thailand, UK, Europe and US news stories if you would rather focus on one region or country, but all those stories will also be found here.

DeVos: School choice should expand, but not from Washington D.C.

U.S. Secretary of Education Betsy DeVos — addressing the American Federation for Children in Indianapolis — spoke adamantly about how public education shouldn’t be run from Washington, D.C.

      

 

 

Ye Olde Buffalo Tavern
Hua Hin Ham Bacon and Meat Co.
Go Kart Hua Hin
Share

Alleged victim of Rolf Harris 'yelled pervert at him through TV screen'

The husband of one of Rolf Harris’ alleged victims has told jurors he first learned of his wife’s allegations when she began yelling at the television as the entertainer appeared on screen, branding him a “pervert”.

Convicted child molester Harris, 87, is accused of touching the then-13-year-old schoolgirl after he appeared on the BBC’s Saturday Superstore programme in 1983.

The complainant’s partner said he was “shocked” when his wife told him of the incident around 17 years later when he heard her shouting at the Australian artist and entertainer when he was on TV.

The man denied the pair had “cooked up” the story between them to try and gain compensation.

Prosecutor Jonathan Rees asked the man whether he and his wife “saw an opportunity, saw pound signs in your eyes” before making the allegation.

The witness replied: “No, she said from the start she did not want compensation.”

The court heard the woman, now in her 40s, had come forward to make her complaint on the same day a newspaper report in the Daily Star said that Harris’ victims were to receive “£200,000 in compensation”.

The alleged victim said she did not recall the headline referred to as she was “not really a Daily Star reader” and that although she was aware of people claiming compensation, she was not familiar with the sums involved.

The woman, who gave evidence via video link at the trial at Southward Crown Court, said coming forward had been “the hardest thing I have ever had to do”.

Asked whether she had made a claim for compensation, she replied: “No, I have not and I don’t intend to. It’s not about that. It’s about vindication and justice.”

Asked why she had taken so many years to come forward, she replied: “Because it is quite a decision to make, to come forward when you haven’t been believed by members of your own family and others … it takes a while to make a decision to come forward and talk to police.”

Mr Harris’ defence lawyer, Stephen Vullo QC, told the court the entertainer was joking when he allegedly asked the girl if she “often got molested on a Saturday morning”, or words to that effect.

The woman replied: “I fail to see, whether it is said to a group or a single child, how that can be misconstrued as a joke in any way.”

The entertainer was jailed on twelve counts of indecent assault that took place between 1968 and 1986 on four female victims who ranged in age from eight to nineteen. He has been serving a sentence of five years and nine months.

Harris was released from HMP Stafford on Friday to attend the latest court proceedings. He is charged with four offences against three women between 1971 and 1983.

He arrived at court for the opening day of the trial accompanied by his niece Jenny Harris, and wore a hearing loop throughout the proceedings.

Harris denies all charges against him and the trial continues.

Ye Olde Buffalo Tavern
Hua Hin Ham Bacon and Meat Co.
Go Kart Hua Hin
Share

Manchester explosion: Ariana Grande says she is 'broken' after incident that left 19 dead

Ariana Grande has responded to the incident in Manchester that left at least 19 dead and almost 60 injured.

Writing on social media a few hours after police responded to what they said was a reported explosion in the aftermath of her concert at the Manchester Arena, the 23-year-old singer said she was “broken”.

“From the bottom of my heart, i am so so sorry,” she said. “I don’t have words.”

Grande escaped unhurt from the incident, which happened shortly after the American singer completed her set and lights in the venue had been switched on. Video taken at the scene showed scenes of chaos and horror. Many of those inside the venue were youngsters or teenagers, and a lot of them were with their parents.

Manchester explosion: May, Corbyn and Farron react to ‘appalling terrorist attack’

Earlier, Grande’s manager, Scooter Braun, said “our hearts are broken” following the suspected terrorist attack.

“We mourn the lives of children and loved ones taken by this cowardly act,” he added.

Ye Olde Buffalo Tavern
Hua Hin Ham Bacon and Meat Co.
Go Kart Hua Hin
Share

Video captures chaos at Manchester Arena

Police say a blast at Manchester Arena where U.S. singer Ariana Grande had been performing left a number of people dead and injured. Cell phone video captures the moment. – REUTERS

Ye Olde Buffalo Tavern
Hua Hin Ham Bacon and Meat Co.
Go Kart Hua Hin
Share

MetLife Wins Model Insurer Asia Award 2017 for “Innovation and Emerging Technologies”

Intellasia East Asia News

HONG KONG–(BUSINESS WIRE)–MetLife, Inc. (NYSE: MET) announced that LumenLab, its Singapore based innovation center has won Celent’s Model Insurer Asia 2017 in the category of “Innovation and Emerging Technologies” at an awards event held today in Singapore. Established in 2015, LumenLab is MetLife’s global innovation center focused on digital disruption based on customer insights. In […]

Ye Olde Buffalo Tavern
Hua Hin Ham Bacon and Meat Co.
Go Kart Hua Hin
Share

Chula savings co-op says finances solid

The Chulalongkorn University Savings Cooperative (CUSC) has assured members its financial status remained sound, urging them not to panic and rush to make withdrawals after one of its borrowers was closed down in an embezzlement scandal.

Ye Olde Buffalo Tavern
Hua Hin Ham Bacon and Meat Co.
Go Kart Hua Hin
Share

Why ads are not the best ROI for your online shop

Intellasia East Asia News

Every business knows the importance of identifying the correct platforms and promotional strategies to approach your target audiences. Different methods of disseminating information will result in varied responses from your targets. Being able to pinpoint the right channel to deliver information to consumers will enable a business to increase their client base, leading to eventual […]

Ye Olde Buffalo Tavern
Hua Hin Ham Bacon and Meat Co.
Go Kart Hua Hin
Share

Guam priest named in 67th abuse suit was confidant of altar boys

Father Jack Niland is accused of molesting a teen in 1982 during a sleepover.

      

 

 

Ye Olde Buffalo Tavern
Hua Hin Ham Bacon and Meat Co.
Go Kart Hua Hin
Share

Manchester 'explosions': Loud bangs heard at Ariana Grande concert

Greater Manchester Police have warned people to stay away from Manchester Arena as officers respond to an “incident”, amid reports on social media of explosions.

More follows…

Ye Olde Buffalo Tavern
Hua Hin Ham Bacon and Meat Co.
Go Kart Hua Hin
Share

Billy Bush says Trump's notorious 'grabbing' comment 'wasn't locker room talk'

Billy Bush says that comments made by Donald Trump in which he appeared to be bragging about sexual assault weren’t simply locker room talk as the now-President once said.

“I’m in a lot of locker rooms, I am an athlete, and no, that is not the type of conversation that goes on or that I’ve participated in,” Mr Bush said during a recent interview with the Hollywood Reporter

The former NBC host said that the publication of the infamous “Access Hollywood” tape, which featured audio of Mr Bush and Mr Trump talking about the billionaire real estate mogul and reality TV star’s views on women, led him into a long period of introspection. Mr Bush says that the tape, which derailed his career, led him to stay for a week at a self-help retreat.

Mr Bush said that, instead of being indicative of the type of conversation you might encounter in a locker room, it was more along the lines of what you might hear from someone with the privilege Mr Trump would have enjoyed as a Manhattan billionaire.

“I felt that, in that moment, he was being typically Donald, which is performing and shocking. Almost like Andrew Dice Clay, the stand-up comedian: Does he really do the things that he’s saying or is that his act?” Mr Bush said. “And in Donald’s case, I equated it that way. When he said what he said, I’d like to think if I had thought for a minute that there was a grown man detailing his sexual assault strategy to me, I’d have called the FBI.”

The former television host said that the blow back from the publication of the tape has given him a renewed and deepened interest in defending the interests of women. He also expressed regret for not doing something different while on the bus.

“Looking back upon what was said on that bus, I wish I had changed the topic,” he said. Trump “likes TV and competition. i could’ve said, ‘Can you believe the ratings on whatever?’ But I didn’t have the strength of character to do it.”

Mr Bush hopes to get his career back on track after the months of introspection on the issue.

Ye Olde Buffalo Tavern
Hua Hin Ham Bacon and Meat Co.
Go Kart Hua Hin
Share

Comical drive to rein in FB turns sinister

Having failed to force Facebook to shut down more than 100 lese majeste pages, Thai authorities are going after small-fish users and viewers in the country in what appears to be another comical campaign of intimidation.

Ye Olde Buffalo Tavern
Hua Hin Ham Bacon and Meat Co.
Go Kart Hua Hin
Share

He said Louisiana lawmakers should be lynched for removing Confederate monuments. Now he apologizes.

In a Saturday Facebook post, Mississippi state Rep. Karl Oliver, a Republican from Winona, also compared the actions of Crescent City officials to Nazis.

      

 

 

Ye Olde Buffalo Tavern
Hua Hin Ham Bacon and Meat Co.
Go Kart Hua Hin
Share

Female reporters 'unable to listen' to Trump's visit to Western Wall due to gender segregation

Female reporters accompanying President Donald Trump on his trip to the Middle East have been separated from their male colleagues and the President during his historic visit to the Western Wall in Jerusalem.

Men and women aren’t allowed to pray together at the Wall and a small barrier separates the two genders in accordance to Orthodox Jewish tradition. The women reporters were unable to hear the conversations Mr Trump was having but saw him speaking to a rabbi quietly as he approached the Wall. Photos of the event didn’t show any male reporters in close proximity to the President during the visit.

We were “technically on the female side of the Wall, separated from the male press pool by a small, low barrier that we could look over,” a female Politico reporter wrote in a report distributed by the White House press pool.

The separation of genders at the Western Wall has been a hotly contested issue. Women of the Wall, a group that campaigns for equal prayer rights, has protested the separation for nearly 30 years. A temporary mixed-gender area was approved in 2013, and a permanent solution was approved last year by the Israeli cabinet. It is unclear when that plan will be implemented.

This is at least the second time during Mr Trump’s visit to the Middle East that women reporters have been excluded or limited in their access to events attended by Trump officials. Two female reporters covering an event headlined by Ivanka Trump in Saudi Arabia to discuss women’s empowerment were not allowed to stay past introductory remarks over the weekend. That country requires women to cover themselves from head to toe in public, requires women to request permission from a “male guardian” to leave their homes, and does not allow women to drive.

Ms Trump and First Lady Melania Trump did not wear headscarves during their visit, which follows in the tradition of other presidential spouses on visits to the country.

Ye Olde Buffalo Tavern
Hua Hin Ham Bacon and Meat Co.
Go Kart Hua Hin
Share

Tillerson: 'Moment in Time' for Mideast Peace

Secretary of State Rex Tillerson referred to President Donald Trump’s visit to Israel as “a moment in time” for the Israeli peace process. (May 22)

      

 

 

Ye Olde Buffalo Tavern
Hua Hin Ham Bacon and Meat Co.
Go Kart Hua Hin
Share

'Dementia tax': What is the Conservative policy and why is it so controversial?

Theresa May has been forced to backtrack on planned social care reforms, and the Conservatives have bought expensive Google ad space to counter critical press coverage. But what is the “dementia tax”?

Under the current system, older people who have assets worth more than £23,250, including the value of their property, must part-fund the cost of the care they receive.

However, if the pensioner requires only care at home, rather than in a residential setting, they will not be forced to sell their property, as “domiciliary” care is much cheaper.

The Conservative manifesto pledged to raise the means-tested floor at which older people will start paying for their care to £100,000 – but, crucially, under their proposal, people would be forced to sell their homes to pay for domiciliary as well as residential care.

Speaking in Wales on Monday, Theresa May was forced to partially row back on the policy, announcing a cap on the number of people would be forced to pay for their care. However, she declined to specify the amount at which the limit would be set.

The Prime Minister said: “We will come forward with a government green paper. And that consultation will include an absolute limit on the amount people have to pay for their care costs.”

Theresa May waters down ‘dementia tax’

A £72,000 cap on care costs was due to come into effect in 2016 – but due to a funding crisis, the government delayed the policy until 2020.

Research conducted for the Liberal Democrats found that, overall, 90% of homes in England would be liable to be sold under the original proposal.

The average UK house is worth £215,847 – so while the Conservative care package is actually a better deal for poorer pensioners, the vast majority of homeowners who require care are going to be worse off.

It is possible to defer the sale of a house until after its owner’s death, in which case the payment is deducted from a pensioner’s estate.

The policy has proved hugely controversial because the Conservatives are historically more popular than Labour among older voters. A YouGov survey from April found the Tories were ahead by 49% among over-65s.

Researchers also found that for every 10 years older a voter is, the likelihood they will vote Tory increases by around eight per cent.

A Survation survey, conducted entirely after Thursday’s Tory manifesto launch, found 28 per cent of voters said they were less likely to vote Conservative because of the social care package.

Theresa May faced a backlash from her own party after it emerged that senior Conservative figures were kept in the dark about the planned reforms.

Ye Olde Buffalo Tavern
Hua Hin Ham Bacon and Meat Co.
Go Kart Hua Hin
Share
Ye Olde Buffalo Tavern
Hua Hin Ham Bacon and Meat Co.
Go Kart Hua Hin
Share